This straightforward lentil pasta recipe is a satisfying, comforting vegetarian meal. A wealthy tomato and lentil sauce coats chewy ribbons of al dente pasta.
Okay, pasta lovers, you want this lentil pasta recipe in your winter rotation! It’s budget-friendly, straightforward to make, and comforting in the best way that solely pasta with purple sauce could be.
Although this lentil pasta recipe is stuffed with Italian flavors (marinara! balsamic! Parmesan!), it’s not a tackle any particular Italian pasta dish. Fairly, it’s one thing I like to cook dinner once I need a hearty, flavorful pasta dinner, however I don’t need to go to the shop or spend hours within the kitchen. This lentil pasta recipe comes along with primary pantry elements, and you may have it on the desk in proper round half-hour. I feel you’re going to adore it!
Lentil Pasta Recipe Substances
Right here’s what you’ll must make this lentil pasta recipe:
- Lentils, in fact! They pack this pasta with vitamins like fiber and plant-based protein. I like to make use of French inexperienced lentils for this recipe as a result of they maintain a pleasant chew when cooked. In a pinch, common inexperienced or brown lentils will work right here too. DON’T sub purple lentils–their texture is just too smooth and mushy for this recipe.
- Pasta – Pappardelle is my noodle of selection. I really like the extensive, chewy ribbons within the hearty lentil pasta sauce. Should you can’t discover it, tagliatelle is a good sub. Or, in case you’re vegan, and it’s essential to use egg-free pasta, swap in fettuccine or linguine. Gluten-free? Use your favourite gluten-free pasta!
- Onion, carrots, and garlic – They create the sauce’s flavorful base.
- Cremini mushrooms – For wealthy, savory complexity.
- Tamari and balsamic vinegar – They carry out the mushrooms’ umami taste.
- Further-virgin olive oil – For sautéing the veggies.
- Marinara sauce – I prefer to make my very own with easy elements like crushed tomatoes, dried oregano, garlic, and purple pepper flakes. In a pinch, store-bought works too.
- Parmesan cheese – For topping the pasta. It provides nutty, salty richness to the ultimate dish. Should you’re vegan, use my vegan Parmesan cheese as an alternative!
- Contemporary parsley – Sprinkle it over the pasta for a recent, vibrant end!
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
How one can Make Lentil Pasta
This lentil pasta recipe is so easy to make! Listed here are a pair tricks to make it particularly fast and simple:
- Use pre-made marinara. As a lot as I like to make my marinara sauce from scratch, doing so provides a complete half-hour to this recipe…NOT what I need on a busy weeknight. If I’m fortunate, I’ll have some leftover marinara readily available within the freezer, but when I don’t, I take advantage of store-bought right here. Rao’s is my favourite model. It makes this recipe tremendous flavorful and amazingly quick!
- Maintain cooked lentils readily available within the freezer. They’ll come in useful not just for this lentil pasta recipe, however for grain bowls and salads as effectively! Should you don’t have cooked lentils useful, begin this recipe by cooking 1/2 cup dry lentils in response to this directions in this put up.
With these elements prepared, the remainder of the recipe is simple:
Begin by cooking the pasta in a big pot of salted boiling water. When the pasta is al dente, drain it and toss it with a little bit olive oil to forestall sticking.
Subsequent, sauté the veggies. Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion and carrot and cook dinner, stirring often, till they soften, 5 to eight minutes. Then, add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook dinner till the mushrooms are tender, one other 5 to eight minutes.
Add the remaining sauce elements and simmer. Stir within the balsamic and tamari, adopted by the lentils and marinara. Cook dinner, stirring, till the sauce is effectively mixed and heated via, 2 minutes or so.
Lastly, combine within the pasta. Add it to the skillet and toss to coat within the sauce. Season to style…
…and serve with parsley and Parmesan cheese!
What to Serve with Lentil Pasta
We frequently take pleasure in this lentil pasta recipe for dinner by itself. However, in case you’re craving a bigger meal, you’re in luck! It pairs completely with all kinds of aspect dishes. Lean into the consolation meals issue and serve it with garlic bread or focaccia, or add some coloration to your plate with a veggie aspect dish. It might go properly with any of those:
Get pleasure from!
Extra Simple Pasta Recipes
Should you love this lentil pasta, strive one in every of these straightforward pasta dishes subsequent:
This straightforward lentil pasta recipe is a hearty, scrumptious vegetarian dinner! A flavorful tomato and lentil sauce coats chewy ribbons of al dente pasta.
- 10 ounces pappardelle pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly floor black pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1½ cups cooked inexperienced or French inexperienced lentils, from ½ cup dry
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan, for serving
- Contemporary parsley, for garnish
Carry a big pot of salted water to a boil and put together the pasta in response to the package deal directions, cooking till al dente. Drain and toss with a drizzle of olive oil to forestall sticking. Put aside.
Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion and carrot and cook dinner, stirring often, for five to eight minutes, or till softened. Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, and several other grinds of pepper and cook dinner for one more 5 to eight minutes, stirring often, or till the mushrooms are tender.
Stir within the balsamic and tamari, then add the lentils and marinara. Cook dinner, stirring, for two minutes, or till the sauce is well-combined and heated via.
Add the pasta to the skillet and toss to mix. Portion onto plates and serve with Parmesan and recent parsley for garnish.